The park is a non-profit funded solely by donations from dog-owners like you.
EVERY DOLLAR MAKES A DIFFERENCEMake a tax-deductible Donation
SHAW DOG PARK ASSOCIATION – 2017 ANNUAL MEETING
• Meet members the 2016 Shaw Dog Park Board
• Catch up with dog park friends and make new ones
• Talk about 2017 goals and plans for the park
• Share your thoughts and experiences from the past year on how to keep the park a fun, safe space for dogs and humans
• Nominate yourself or someone else to be a member of the Shaw Dog Park Board
• Elect the 2017 Board
• Have delicious drinks and food!
The 2017 Annual Meeting will be held Wednesday, February 8 at 6:30 PM – 8 PM at The Commodore Public House & Kitchen (1100 P St NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20005). Tell your dog park friends, share the word, and let us know if you will be attending by Monday, February 5th so we can make sure to get enough snacks for all! RSVP via the Annual Meeting’s Facebook Event page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curious about serving on the board? Want to nominate yourself (yep, that’s allowed!) or someone else? Send us an email at email@example.com. Click here for more information about board duties and responsibilities.
SHAW DOG PARK CALL FOR 2017 OFFICERS AND BOARD MEMBERS
The Shaw Dog Park Association seeks enthusiastic and dedicated members of the community to join its executive committee and board of directors.
We are currently inviting immediate applications for president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary, as well as for positions on the board of directors. In addition to specific duties for each position, everyone on the SDPA contributes equally during park maintenance and community outreach activities. Time commitment is only a few hours every month. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact information, and a brief statement of interest. We anticipate filling vacancies at our Annual Meeting on Wednesday, February 8, 2017 in order to begin planning for projects for the forth-coming year. Even if you’re not interested in an official role, we still need your help!
Thank you!- SDPA
Board Members (7 positions)
• Administer all affairs of the organization, and control all expenditures and property of the organization.
• Call and administer all annual and special members’ meetings.
• Hold regular monthly board meetings to attend to and administer on-going planning, financial and operational needs of the organization.
• Appoint the officers of the organization.
• Create standing and ad hoc committees.
• Serve as general manager of the organization and shall supervise, direct, and control the organization’s activities, business affairs, and officers.
• Preside at all members’ meetings and at all board meetings.
• Serve as ex-officio member of all committees created by the board.
• Serve as the organization’s focal point and the principal spokesperson for all park project planning meetings with city personnel.
• In absence of the president or secretary, shall perform duties of those offices and as otherwise directed by the president.
• Keep an accurate book of accounts of the organization’s properties and transactions.
• Receive, collect, and deposit all funds.
• Prepare a written financial report for each annual members meeting and for each monthly board meeting.
• Record meeting minutes at annual meeting, monthly board meetings, and committee meetings (if applicable).
• Notify members of regular meetings.
• Keep a current book of members’ records.
Each standing committee shall consist of two or more members.
• Project / Fundraising • Park Maintenance and Planning
• Membership / Volunteers • Communications / Marketing and PR
• Nominations and elections • Community outreach
Don’t be a Drag! Support Shaw Dog Park at Nellie’s on November 22
Join members of the Shaw Dog Park Association Board and fellow park users for a fun night of Drag Bingo at Nellie’s Sports Bar (900 U Street, NW) on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 from 7 – 9 PM.
How does this event help the Park? $1 from every Nellie’s Beer sold comes back to the Park.
It’s fabulous fun and there are fabulous prizes to be won! RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/1857964921101636/
Howl-o-ween 2016 was Pawsitively Pawsome
We were blown away with the great turnout this year and very grateful to all of the local businesses who donated items to the raffle and to all the wonderful dogs and their humans who came out to participate.
Congratulations to our costume contest winners!
Click here to view pictures from the event on Shaw Dog Park’s Facebook page.
Calling all costumed canines, spooky spots, haunted howls, and festive friends – it’s Howl-o-ween time again!
Join us Saturday, October 22 from 11 AM – 1 PM for a not-so-spooky celebration and costume contest for all friends of Shaw Dog Park. Compete for Best Small Dog, Best Big Dog, and Best Couple (human & pup) Costumes.
If you’re feeling lucky, purchase tickets for the raffle, featuring great prizes from local organizations and friends, including:
– Prints by branddave
– Herschel Little America Backpack from Avenue Jack
– Surprise item from West Elm
– Wellness Gift Certificate from CityPaws Animal Hospital
– Gift Certificate from Old City Farm & Guild
– Gift Cards from Commodore Public House & Kitchen
– Gift Certificate from EatWell DC
– Gift Certificate from Luke’s Lobster
– Shaw Dogs tee-shirts
– Shaw Dog Park poop-bag holders
– Tee-shirts and hats from Nellie’s
– A special dog-themed Gift Bag from Whole Foods
Also enjoy complimentary refreshments and treats (for both pups and humans), buy Shaw Dog Park t-shirts, and more.
All proceeds will benefit Shaw Dog Park.
We’ll see you there!
This year’s Howl-O-Ween party was a howling success! We raised over $500 and celebrated the Park’s 7th anniversary. Lots of pups got into the spirit this year during our doggy costume contest. A special thanks goes out to all of the local businesses who donated to the event including: The Pig, Vinoteca, BakeHouse, City Paws, Nellie’s, Avenue Jacks, Wagtime, Brand Dave, Trader Joe’s, National Geographic Museum, Chaplin’s, Anytime K9, Veranda, & Petco Unleashed.
Photos by The Usual Shibas, Clarissa Villondo, Armando Gallardo, featured in Brightest Young Things article. Click here to view the full article on BYT (with tons of photos)!
Continue reading below to see all of the costume contest winners.
FIX THE FENCE UPDATE
Thanks to all of you who have contributed to our fix the fence campaign thus far! We’re excited to update everyone on our current progress as of October 22. We’re halfway there! Remember, every donation made to the park will go directly to fixing our fences and gates until we’ve reached the amount required for the project (approx. $3,000). If you haven’t donated yet and would like to help support your park, please click here to make a secure, tax-deductible donation now.
HOWL-O-WEEN IS HERE!
There’s been a lot of recent buzz about our upcoming Howl-O-Ween celebration, and we couldn’t be more excited that the festivities are now just a couple days away! As if the image of a park full of costumed dogs isn’t enough to get you out this Saturday, we’ll also have an amazing assortment of drool-worthy raffle items up for grabs. Items have been graciously donated by area supporters including The Pig, Vinoteca, BakeHouse, City Paws, Nellie’s, Avenue Jacks, Wagtime, Brand Dave, Trader Joe’s, National Geographic Museum, Chaplin’s, Anytime K9, Verandah, & more!! Don’t miss out on the most fun event of the year at SDP!
Howl-O-Ween – Saturday, Oct. 24th from 11am-1pm